✨Foster Homes Needed!✨
Did you know we have to say “no” to HUNDREDS of rats nearly every month? From accidental pregnancies and hoarding, to abuse, neglect and abandonment. We get requests to help groups of 30-300 rats on a monthly basis.🐀
Right now, some of those waiting to come into care have no other options. Humane societies, shelters, and other rescues are often at capacity. 🐇🐈⬛🐕🦜
Reality is many rats will be euthanized or abandoned, exposed to the elements and die if they cannot find placement. We are their last hope! ☀️
Do you have a sweater, some time, and love to give? Please consider fostering with us. 💖
Our biggest challenge is securing enough funds, followed by having foster homes in place before intake. Our rats come from hardworking and overwhelmed humane societies, animal welfare, and other rescues. ✨
So far, thanks to everyone’s support - we have given to refuge to 78 rats since we opened last summer. This is wonderful - every life matters, and we’d like to take in more. Fostering is rewarding work. It’s hard too, especially saying goodbye (though foster fails are encouraged). 💝
Beginners to experienced welcome. Can be in Northumberland, Peterborough, Kawarthas, or Durham areas. We match you with care and offer ongoing support. Visit our “Why Foster?” page to learn more, or our “Foster Application” page to apply!🐀
And PLEASE SHARE ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜
For the month of December (starting tomorrow - Ah!) 15% of all sales from Socratties Mushroom City Hammocks will be donated to our Emergency Vet Care Fund!
This is a great chance to get your rats a gift they will LOVE, support a small, local business, and our foster rats! win-win-win!
All of our foster rats now get SocRatties hammocks - they are handmade, well-priced, super cozy, and the highest quality we’ve ever seen.
They can also be shipped anywhere in Canada and the US. If the Etsy shop has these specific designs as “out-of-stock” they are catching up, and will be restocked very soon, so just check back
Order here: https://etsy.me/3sOhZeT
And please SHARE! You know your rat-loving friends will want to hear about this!
Welcome to our Online Silent Auction for the Fall 2021!
To take part, please head over to our Photo Album - "Silent Online Auction - Fall 2021" on Facebook. Click here!
This is our first ever auction and we are so excited! Take a peek, there are lots of cool items, and some great deals! We are very grateful for the donations we received and every $ will go directly toward our Emergency Vet Care Fund so we can accept more rats into our care. After speaking with some other nonprofits, we chose to deliver this event via a Facebook Album over a Facebook Group or other App for the sake of simplicity, reaching a wider audience, and saving associated costs!
Rats are some of the most misunderstood, overlooked, and abused animals. They’re social, intelligent, and often described as “like little puppies.” We’re grateful for all of you who see this and are supporting our work.
So, to keep this simple. Here’s how it works:
1. Auction begins Wednesday, September 15/2021. Items will be added as individual images in this album.
2. This is also a rolling auction, meaning new items may continue to be added until the end-date of the auction, so check back regularly!
3. This auction ends on September 30/2021. The beauty of online auctions is they can go on for much longer than in-person auctions (and you can participate in your pyjamas). We chose 2 weeks because we don’t have a huge following (yet). You can continue to bid until this date! *please also share this album!
4. Each image has a basic description, an approximate value, a starting bid, and a “buy now” option. More details may be included in the caption of the images, such as size, or materials used.
When you want to place a bid:
1. Click on the item you want to bid on.
2. Comment on the image of this item. *very important to make sure you are commenting in the correct place - on the actual image itself (not in the general album, etc)
3. Bids must start at the “starting bid” amount. Each bid must be at least $5 more than the previous bid. If you bid the “buy now” price - congrats, this item is yours!
4. Check back regularly to see if you’ve been outbid, so you can quickly increase your bid.
5. Check back on September 30/2021, to place your final bid! The auction ends at midnight on this day!
6. On October 1/2021, we will announce the winners - congrats & thank you!!!!
7. We will be in contact with you within the week after the auction ends to arrange payment and pickup/delivery/shipping of your auctioned item! Winners are responsible for shipping when applicable.
8. Sleep well knowing you’ve supported a great cause, and the money raised here will go directly to our Emergency Vet Fund to help more rats in need!
Thank you for taking part in our first-ever auction! We’re so excited… and you are awesome! We are always accepting items for this (and future) rolling auctions, so please reach out if you have a contribution you'd like to make!
We are writing this to let everyone know where we're at in this moment, and what our next steps are! The gorgeous face in the above photo is of Jube-Jube, who is currently on Medical Hold. As of right now, we have received a request to take on some rats from an overwhelmed Humane Society. These rats were discarded in a recycling bin along a hiking trail. We would love to help. With your support, we may just be able to!
If you've browsed our website, you might know - we are a new domestic rat rescue with a plan to stay small-scale and focused. We are just starting out and so, have limited capacity even compared to our small-scale plan. Right now, our main challenge is coming up with sufficient funds for emergency veterinary care needs that may arise.
We have a couple of Foster Families lined up and ready. We have cages (beautiful cages, thank you for the donations), and we have basic supplies, too. We have big hearts, but we know our limits. Our arms are *almost* open wide to these rats. And we would be more than happy to help out a fellow-rescue in doing this work. We just need to have these funds in place before we accept new rats into our care.
So, we're asking our community for their help in getting this in place. Let's all work together and get these rats into their much-deserved, loving homes! We told the Humane Society we'd have a final answer by Monday, so let's see what we can make happen by then! We will update you too. Please contribute to this effort, and if you can't, share our fundraiser: CLICK HERE FOR LINK
You can also donate by:
Rats Given Refuge!